The yellow/orange spice of Turmeric has been in use for over 2,000 years, and is considered one of the most effective medicinal herbs through its active ingredient – Curcumin.
Studies have found that a daily intake of Turmeric can do a great deal of actual benefit to our breathing, digestion, blood flow, heart and even brain. The curcumin has strong anti-inflammation and anti-cancer properties. It’s amazing what just a spoon of turmeric, mixed with the right ingredients, can do.
But beyond these uses, old and wise men and women have, through the centuries, have come up with great home remedies using turmeric.
Here are 15 uses for this wonder spice that will bring you relief, healing and better living:
- Treat ulcers and digestion problems: Mix one spoon of turmeric powder in a cup of boiling water, let it cool and then drink (you can sweeten with sugar or honey).
- To relieve problems of digestion and acidiness in the stomach: Mix half a spoon of turmeric with 1/4 spoon of black pepper and a 1/4 spoon of cardamom, and swallow after your meal.
- To relieve a sore throat: Mix a spoon of honey with a spoon of turmeric and swallow about 4 times a day. A second option: Mix 1/2 a spoon of turmeric and 1/2 a spoon of salt in a glass of warm water and gurgle in the throat.
- To treat fungus on the foot and nails: Mix turmeric powder with lemon juice until an ointment is created. Smear the ointment on the problematic area for a week. Recommendation: Put socks on them and sleep through the night this way.
- Treating acne: Smear a mix made of a table spoon of milk and a bit of turmeric. This may stain your face, so best to put it on at night and wash your face well in the morning.
- To stop a bleeding caused by cuts or scrapes: Dub generously with turmeric powder for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammation effects.
- For quick healing of wounds: Make a thick mixture of turmeric with a bit of water. Smear on the wound and bandage it for at least 24 hours.
- To treat arthritis: Boil a glass of milk with a spoon and a half of turmeric powder. Wait till it cools and drink.
- To relieve asthma attacks: Mix 1/4 spoon of turmeric powder in a glass of turmeric mix hot water and drink in small sips.
- To stop your gums from bleeding: Massage the teeth and gums with a mixture made of equal parts turmeric powder, mustard, oil and salt.
- To treat mouth wounds: Mix a 1/4 spoon of turmeric in a glass of hot water and wait till it cools. Gurgle several times a day.
- Treating stubborn calluses: Prepare a thick mix of 50 grams of turmeric powder with 3 table spoons of olive oil. Mix well to receive the salve and then smear it on the callus.
- To treat insect bites: Make a mixture of turmeric and lemon and smear on the injured area to stop both the itching and suck away the small amount of poison they leave behind which irritates the skin.
- For rough PMS syndrome and cramps: Mix a spoon and a half of turmeric in a glass of hot milk.
- To easy a birth: It is recommended for women 9 months pregnant to swallow 1/2 a spoon of turmeric with hot milk every day. This combination, taken late in the pregnancy, should make giving birth a little easier.