Tofu Stir Fry
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup extra firm tofu chopped into big cubes (as it is easy to shallow fry them)
- 3 tbsp refined oil (vegetable, peanut, canola etc. any can be used)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 3-4 whole dry red chilies (you can adjust it according to taste)
- 1 cup purple cabbage finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped into julienne
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper (freshly grounded is preferred)
- 2 tbsp red chili sauce ( you can adjust it according to taste)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (you can adjust it according to taste)
- 1 tsp chili sauce (you can adjust it according to taste)
- 1 tbsp honey (you can adjust it according to taste)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (you can adjust it according to taste)
Step 1: It is most important to get out all the extra water out of tofu if we want nice 1 sear on it while frying. So cover the block of tofu with a paper towel and press it with your hands gently. Repeat this process several times changing the paper towel each time. Repeat the process at least 6-7 times. When you feel that sufficient water is removed from the tofu, chop the tofu into big cube. We chop them into big cubes so that it is easy to shallow fry them and later on we will cut them into bite size pieces.
Step 2: Add 2 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter to a non stick frying pan. You can use any pan but using a non stick pan makes it easy to fry tofu with less oil. Once oil and butter is hot enough add tofu in it in a single layer so that each tofu gets enough room for frying. Keep the gas on medium heat. Fry them till they are golden brown in color. Each side will take approximately 10 minutes. Do not turn them frequently as they can crumble. When tofu is golden brown in color then take them out on a absorbent paper and keep them aside.
Step 3: Get all the veggies ready. In the same pan add 1 tbsp oil more, when oil is hot enough add ginger, garlic and whole dry red chilies. Saute it for about a minute till garlic and ginger starts turning brownish in color. Now add thinly sliced red onion it and saute it for about a minute or so. Keep the gas on medium heat.
Step 4: As onions starts turning translucent, stir in rest of the veggies i.e. sugar snap peas, carrots and purple cabbage. Add salt and pepper and mix it very nicely. Be a little light handed while adding salt as all the sauces will also be having salt in it. You can adjust salt later also. Now cover the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, it helps in steaming the veggies quickly.
Step 5: In the mean while we will make dressing for the stir fry. In a bowl combine red chili sauce, soy sauce, chili sauce, honey and red chili flakes. Mix all the ingredients nicely with a help of spoon.
Step 6: Cover and cook the veggies only for 5 minutes, do not leave it covered more than that otherwise the veggies will lose its crunchiness. We have to cook the veggies till it is little tender and the crunchiness of all the veggies is still there. It will take around 5-7 minutes. When the veggies have cooked, add the sauce mixture in it and toss it nicely so that all the veggies are nicely coated with the sauces. Now chop the tofu into bite size pieces and add it to the veggies. Mix everything gently so that tofu does not crumble.
Super healthy, delicious and nutritious stir fry tofu is ready to be enjoyed. Spoon it over rice noodles or white steamed rice or have it as it is. It is delicious in all the ways. It tastes best when served warm. Do try this and let me know how you like it.